In May 2011, after four years of life on McNutt's Island, we moved to Montreal. This blog remains, though, as a (sort of) daily record of our time on the island, and a winding path for anyone who would like to meander about among its magical places. For additional perspectives and insights I recommend Greg's book, Island Year: Finding Nova Scotia (2010), and my Bowl of Light (2012). I'll continue to post once in a while. If you do want to read this blog, one option would be to begin at the beginning of it (which is, as we all know, in blog-world, at the end), and read forward, concluding with the most recent entry. It's a journal, really, so it does makes more sense if you read it that way. But, you know, read it any way you like.

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Wild thing

Skipper and Radar came by this afternoon for a small book party consisting of the four of us. They brought us two lobsters fresh from the sea. After Radar pulls the lobsters out of the traps he puts these heavy rubber bands on them, so their claws can't do serious damage. This year the bands are imprinted with an important message. In case anybody thinks they grew up on a lobster farm.

3 comments:

JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

Those claws do look like they could do a lot of damage. Sounds like a fun party.

Janet said...

I'd like to see them billed as "Product of Atlantic Canada" but I guess just "Product of Canada" is a start. Interesting that lobster shipment via container is being explored in the light of the recent shutdown of European air space and as a greener alternative, especially as this is earth day and we need to encourage more alternatives to widescale depletion of carbon fuels by excessive air traffic.

Eco Yogini said...

hahaha. awesome.
I think I remember dad telling me something about this- he was saying that not that long ago, Maine was re-banding NS lobsters as 'product of Maine' after the were bought (my father is an NS lobsterfisherman).

could be wrong, but his info was that the specifics on the bands had to do with that rebanding scheme going on.

sigh, I heart lobsters.